Wednesday, January 2, 2013

[Trust in the Lord] by Lauran Bunting, ‘Communal’ Part Two

communal 

Trust is one of the first things we ask of a person and one of the hardest things to do. But why, why is it so hard to trust others? Maybe it’s because we've been hurt before, lied to, or even broke someone else's trust so we think they will do the same to us. But here's the problem, our {hope} and {trust} shouldn't rest in man, but God. Man is always going to fail and let you down. And why is it so much harder to trust in the Lord? He knows you better then you even know yourself! When life is going good what do we think? Wow, I must have done something right! What about when something goes wrong? Why did you fail me again God? Why can’t anything go right? Why aren’t we saying Lord, I trust you! I know you will never fail me, you will never forsake me, you will never leave me. {Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; -Proverbs 3:5} Look! It’s right there. But why is it so hard for us to do? It’s because we are human! We think we know what’s best for ourselves.

I used to think I knew what was best and that I didn’t need to listen to anyone. But I was mistaken. Don’t get me wrong though, I loved God. But there is a difference between {loving God and trusting God}. I knew how to love God but I didn’t know how to fully trust God. And what’s a relationship if you can’t trust the other person? So many “Christians” love God, but if they don’t TRUST God then what good is loving him? There’s a difference between love and trust.

It wasn’t until I was a senior in high school that I truly began to trust God. You see I was just like any other teenager you see walking through the halls of the local high school. Not a care in the world and thinking I knew what was best for me. I met a guy, he seemed nice and we became friends. Although my parents told me to end this relationship, I chose to continue it because, he asked me to be his girlfriend. One week later while at his house, he raped me. Everything I believed about trust between a boyfriend and a girlfriend was wrong. A few weeks later, I found out I was pregnant. This person I had trusted not only walked out of my life, he denied that the baby I was carrying was his. Again, my trust in a person had failed. After sharing what had happened with my parents, my mom took me to a local Christian women’s center to learn of my options between raising my child on my own or placing her up for adoption. As I was leaving I was handed a carnation with a bible verse attached that read: For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. –Jeremiah 29:11 and it wasn’t until right then that I knew the Lord’s plan was for me to keep my daughter and raise her! That was also the first time that I finally trusted God! It was at this point I totally walked away from this boy and trusted God to be by my side for the rest of this journey. Once I started trusting God with everything things started to fall into place. My beautiful baby girl was born three weeks after I graduated high school. There have been many times in the past three and a half months that I have failed to fully trust God, but He has used family and friends to gently guide me back to fully trust in Him.

My prayer each night is that when I awake in the morning that I will not only love my Heavenly Father but that I will leap into his arms, trusting that he will catch me, provide for me and my little girl and carry us through another day!

Here are a few more verses that I hope will encourage you as they have me!

Those who know your name trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.-Psalm 9:10
But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. –Psalm 13:5

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song. –Psalm 29:7

For nothing is impossible with God. –Luke 1:37

Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. -1 Thessalonians 5:18

Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.” The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD. It is good for a man to bear the yoke while he is young. -Lamentations 3:22-27

lauran

Lauran is brave and an inspiration, truly a woman after God’s own heart.
Thank you for sharing something so personal, Lauran!

You can contact Lauran here.

1 comment:

Well what do ya know? You like to leave comments and I like to read them! We are the same, you and I.